Like with our wardrobes, cars, interiors and architecture, experts have been busy the last decade to advise us to play it safe, and surround ourselves with so called «neutral» colors, like grey, white and beige. Here are the top reasons for why those exact colors are the last you should pick when you go sofa shopping!
– They’re characterless. The old neutrals does not really have any degree of personality. They’re just there. And they need other colors to avoid looking dull.
– The colors doesn’t really do anything positive for you. If we look at research done on colors, grey is one of the colors we dislike the most. It’s depressing, sad and lacks energy. And beige, you know beige, it’s just boring (but it’s easier to create atmosphere with beige than grey or white, but more difficult to combine it with other colors).
– You will tire of them. The advise to play it safe with so called neutrals for the bigger elements of your decor (walls, flooring, bigger furniture), and then add color with details, makes no sense at all. If we look at what colors make you feel good, you need proper colors. Look at the color scheme of where we’re from, nature. It’s filled with green&blue, with thousands of accent colors. Nuance rich decors makes us feel well. Decorating with white, beige and grey creates interiors that lack atmosphere and are uncomfortable for you body on a subconscious level. Your brain is actually bored. It needs colors to thrive, and the best colors for your mind are color colors.
When you look at the pictures, focus on the colors rather than the style of the rooms. They’re easily transferrable to a number of different aesthetics.
1. GREEN – like in fashion, green is also a good neutral for interiors. Green and blue are the two main colors of planet earth, and we naturally feel safe and relaxed when surrounded by them. A green sofa will work with practically any other color, and it doesn’t just give that luxurious feeling, it will also make you feel calm and relaxed.
2. RED+ORANGE – The boldest colors of the color wheel, are without doubt very interesting color alternatives for sofas. They’re dominant, energetic and happy. Why would you ever tire of them?
3. YELLOW – Happy, happier and just super happy. In other words, yellow is a cheery color, that will put a smile on your face. In large doses, it can feel irritating, but on an element like a sofa, you can go as bold or bright as you’d like.
4. COGNAC – This is a color we’ll be seeing more of the coming years, and it’s warmth and richness adds instant atmosphere to a room filled with the old neutrals, or brings shine to more colorful interiors..
5. PURPLE – This is a color that most people either love or hate, very few feel indifferent about it, which I like! The darker shades gives that deep, luxurious feel, while the paler nuances feel more traditional and «timeless». Purple is a color that boosts creativity.
Unsure about what sofa to choose? Norwegian design is definitely happening at the moment, and below are a few interesting options. Click the image to see where they’re from.